Along with the Martingale system, the Labouchére system is perhaps the best known roulette systems. Labouchére is a simple roulette strategy based on crossing out numbers in a number sequence. That is why a pen and paper will come in handy.
If you thought that the system originated from France, well, you'll be surprised. The system is attributed to the British aristocrat and politician Henry Du Pré Labouchére, who transformed his specific interest in roulette systems into the discovery of a new one.
The basic principle of the system
Even though the Labouchére system might seem complicated at first, that's not really the case. In fact it is very simple and first-grade mathematics are all you'll need. First, we need an arbitrary numerical sequence where each subsequent number must be 1 greater than the previous one.
The Labouchére system will then be summing up the first and last number in the sequence for each bet. The sum of these two numbers will determine the bet. If you lose, place this sum on the end of the sequence. On the other hand, if you win then cross out the first and last number in the sequence. We recommend using the Labouchére system when betting on one possibility out of two (even / uneven, red / black); however, some players also use it for 1/3 bets.
Example of a game using the Labouchére system
To really see that the system is not difficult, let's have a look at a simulated game with the Labouchére system.
- Select an arbitrary numerical sequence, for instance 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and bet on black. Your first bet is 1 + 6 = 7 €.
- What happens if you lose this spin? Well, you lost 7 €. Write down this number at the end of the numerical sequence. So, the sequence now is: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.
- Your next bet will be 8 € (1+7) on black.
- This spin, you win. You won 16 €. Do not forget to cross out the first and last number of the sequence. The sequence now is: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
- Let's proceed to the next bet. Based on the sequence, this should again be 8 € (2+6).
- Assume you win again. This means you got an additional 16 €. So, once again cross out the first and last number in the sequence. There's only three numbers left: 3, 4 and 5.
- The next bet will once again be 8 € (3+5). Proceed until you completely cross out the whole sequence.
As you can see, it is not difficult to learn the system by heart fairly quickly. It is also suitable for less experienced players.
The many advantages of the Labouchére system
The Labouchére system is popular among players especially because it is less financially demanding than for instance Martingale, and it is also more "generous" to players. If you take the time and calculate your probabilities, you'll see that a 33 % success rate is sufficient to ensure you are not losing money. In practice, winning one out of three bets is enough to have an even budget.
The Labouchére strategy is highly popular among players thanks to its many positives. Together with its simplicity, quick application and low financial risk, the system is an excellent tool to improve your play. We highly recommend giving it a try.